Cooked Cream with Chios Mastiha and Pistachios
This dish, for all intents and purposes, is a variation of the traditional Italian pana cotta. It’s the Chios Mastiha that makes all the difference, lending something decidedly exotic to the cream. This is a lovely, year-round dessert, easy to make and elegant.
1. Soak the gelatin in cold water for 10 minutes.
2. In a large pot, heat the milk, cream, and sugar to just before the boiling point. Add the Chios Mastiha.
3. Strain the gelatin in a fine sieve and add it to the cream, stirring continuously over low heat. As soon as the mixture starts to simmer, remove from heat and add the pistachios.
4. Pour equal amounts of the cooked Chios Mastiha cream into 8 Martini glasses or small bowls. Let cool at room temperature and then chill in the refrigerator for at least four hours. Serve, if desired, with caramel syrup and garnish with chopped, unsalted pistachios.
Makes 8 servings
- 2 sheets gelatin, 7 gr. (1/4 oz.) each
- 500 ml (2 cups) fresh milk
- 500 ml (2 cups) heavy cream
- 80 gr. (2 2/3 oz.) sugar
- 1 Tbsp. ground Chios Mastiha
- 1 cup shelled Aegina pistachios, finely chopped