Nenita is one of the largest and most developed villages in southern Chios. It is located at the southeastern end of the island, on the flat plateau of a wide ridge with a sea view over the coast of Asia Minor. The name has derived from the word "Neoktista" (=newly built), an allusion to the plots of land acquired back in the 16th century. In Medieval times, Nenita was the largest village of all Mastihohoria, with a population of 2,500. It was built upon the same building patterns, but underwent huge damages during the earthquake of 1881, so its medieval architecture has been only partly preserved. Just outside the village, there is Pamegiston Taxiarchon monastery, erected in 1305. The icon of Archangel Michael, painted by Peloponnesian priest-monk Parthenius and dating from the same period, is especially interesting. Other churches of particular interest are Agios Tryphon, Agios Georgios and Agii Anargiri. The locals’ main occupation is agriculture, especially mastiha production.