Frozen Chocolate Parfait with Chios Mastiha
1. Place sugar, water, lemon juice, and Chios Mastiha powder in a saucepan and heat over medium flame until the syrup reaches 1150 C (2390 F).
2. Whisk the egg yolks in an electric mixer until creamy and light yellow.
3. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler. In a slow, steady trickle, whisking all the while, add the hot syrup to beaten egg yolks. Slowly add the melted chocolate and whisk vigorously another 10 minutes over low heat.
4. Pour in the cream and stir lightly to combine. Let the mixture cool to room temperature and place in a metal or plastic container in the freezer. Freeze overnight and serve.
Makes 6 servings
- 200 gr. (7 oz.) sugar
- 100 ml water
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground Chios Mastiha or commercial powder
- 10 egg yolks
- 500 gr. (18 oz.) unsweetened chocolate, cut into small pieces
- 500 ml heavy cream