Gilthead Bream Carpaccio Spiced with Chios Mastiha
Marinated fish is both a traditional and a modern Greek dish. All sorts of fish, especially tender, white-fleshed fish, are marinated. Here, the marinade includes a bevy of aromatic spices; Chios Mastiha lends its own undertones, which are earthy but subtle.
- Wash and clean the fish: Remove its scales and viscera and rinse thoroughly. Fillet the fish and cut each fillet into 5-cm- (2-inch-) wide strips.
- Whisk together the lemon juice, vinegar, olive oil, and spices. Place the fish in overlapping layers inside a container and pour over the marinade. Marinate, unrefrigerated, for 3 hours.
Note: The fish may be stored in its marinade in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Makes 6-8 meze servings
- 1 kilo (2.2 pounds) gilthead bream
- 80 ml fresh strained lemon juice
- 60 ml white wine vinegar
- 600 ml Greek extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. crushed coriander seeds
- 2 Tbsp. crushed fennel seeds
- 1 Tbsp. sumac
- 3 green cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 3 pieces star anise
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground Chios Mastiha
- 3 strips dried orange zest