This is a filling first course or accompaniment to meat, poultry and fish. It can also double as a hearty vegetarian main course.
1. Soak the bulgur in cold water for about 2 hours, until the water is absorbed and the bulgur soft and fluffy.
2. Sauté all the small cut vegetables in the olive oil for about 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, water or stock, and season with salt and pepper.
3. As soon as the pot juices have cooked down add the Chios Mastiha oil and the bulgur. Stir well. Serve hot, drizzled with a little olive oil and sprinkled with finely chopped fresh parsley.
Makes 4 servings
- 200 gr. ( 6 2/3 oz.) medium-grain bulgur wheat
- 2 cups water
- 40 gr. (1 1/3 oz.) extra-virgin Greek olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. Zucchini, finely diced
- 1 Tbsp. Carrot, finely diced
- 1 Tbsp. Red pepper, finely diced
- 1 Tbsp. Green pepper, finely diced
- 1 Tbsp. Yellow pepper, finely diced
- 1 Tbsp. White mushrooms finely diced
- 200 ml water or stock
- 1/2 tomato, finely diced(about 1/2 cup)
- 3 drops of essential Chios Mastiha oil or
- 1 Tbsp. Chios Mastiha-infused olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Greek Extra-Virgin Olive Oil and chopped parsley for serving