You can garnish this lovely, colorful salad with a few Chios Mastiha crystals. It’s a great first course all year round.
1. Cut the apples on a mandolin or professional meat slicer into very thin strips and toss with lemon juice and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside, covered and refrigerated, until ready to use.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together the beets, yogurt, honey, garlic, chives, Chios Mastiha oil, salt and pepper.
3. To serve the salad: Place a few strips of marinated green apple in a concentric circle in the center of each plate. Place a dollop of the tossed beet salad on top. Drizzle with a little more olive oil if desired and serve immediately.
Makes 6 servings
- 3 whole green apples, peeled and cored
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2-3 Tbsp. Greek extra-virgin olive oil
- 900 gr. (about 2 pounds) beets, boiled, peeled and diced
- 250 gr. (1 1/4 cup) sheep’s milk yogurt
- 15 gr. (1 Tbsp.) honey
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2-3 drops essential Chios Mastiha oil or
- 2-3 tsp. Mastiha-infused olive oil
- 1/2 bunch fresh chives, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper